Fix: Astro A10 Mic Not Working on PC
We understand that it can cause you inconvenience when the Astro A10 mic is not working properly. However, there could be various reasons for this issue. In this post, we will provide some possibilities for you to narrow down so that you can find the best fix. Please read on.
Before we start troubleshooting, please make sure that the inline cable is firmly seated in the headset and on your PC/Xbox One/PS4 controller. If your PC sound card has split pink and green jacks, a PC splitter is required (purchase from Astro Gaming). Moreover, check that your Astro A10 headset is not muted. (If the Microphone mute button is in the up position, then it’s on mute.) Also, you can restart your computer and your Astro console to fix some random bugs. If nothing works, please follow the tips below.
If your Astro A10 mic is still not working, then you should proceed to do a hardware check.
To do this, remove the headset from the Xbox One or PS4 controller and connect it directly to a smartphone. You can take a phone call or record a message by speaking directly into the headset’s microphone. Note that the microphone on your phone may pick up your voice if you hold it too close to you. Hence, you’ll have to hold the phone a bit farther.
If the Astro A10 mic doesn’t pick up your voice, then you should contact Astro Support for advice. Instead, if it works well on your phone, continue with the next troubleshooting tip.
Most applications transmit audio through the default audio device on your system. Once the Astro A10 headset is connected but it is not set as the default microphone on your system, it may fail to pick up your voice from the A10 microphone. Additionally, if the default playback device is not your Astro A10 headset, you will not hear sound from the headset. In this case, setting the Astro A10 as the default device may solve the mic problem.
Here’s what you can do (Please note that the screenshots in this guide are all taken on Windows 11, but the instructions work on Windows 10 as well):
- Right-click the speaker icon on the system tray, then select Sound settings.
- Scroll down the page and click More sound settings.
- Under the Playback tab, select your Astro A10 headset and click Set as default. (If you don’t see it in the device list, right-click the space area and click Show hidden devices and Show disconnected devices. If Astro A10 is hidden, you can right-click it and select Enable. If it’s shown as a disconnected device, check if your audio driver is out-of-date.)
- Switch to the Recording tab from the top menu, select your Astro A10 microphone and click Set as default. (If you don’t see it in the device list, do the same as in step 3.)
Now, check if your Astro A10 mic works again. If it doesn’t, move on to the next troubleshooting tip.
Sometimes an outdated audio driver can fail to connect the external audio device to your computer, and as a result, your Astro A10 microphone can stop working and be shown as a disconnected device. However, this case is easy to fix. All you need to do is update your audio driver.
To update your audio card driver, here’s what you can do:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key and X at the same time, select Device Manager.
- Double-click to expand the category Sound, video and game controllers. Then right-click your audio device and click Update driver.
- Then click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Wait for Windows to find the latest driver available for you.
- When the driver update is done, restart your computer for the change to take effect.
- Then check and see if the problem is fixed.
Sometimes Windows may tell you that “the best drivers for your device are already installed”. However, it’s not always accurate since Microsoft doesn’t have access to all the newly released drivers for your devices.
Therefore, if Device Manager doesn’t find you the latest audio driver, we recommend using Driver Techie to scan and repair outdated, corrupt, or missing drivers. It works in most cases where you have a driver-related issue. You can download Driver Techie by Clicking Here or following the guide below.
To use Driver Techie to find you the latest audio driver:
- Download and install Driver Techie, then launch it.
- Click Scan Now.
- After the scan, select all the drivers you need to update and click Update All (for Pro subscribers), and all your drivers will be updated automatically. (Please note that you can only update the driver one at a time if you use a free version. To see how to manually update the drivers one by one, please check this post.)
Driver Techie involves the direct human review of the driver database by our engineers, which ensures you always have the safest and latest device drivers. You can rest assured that all your device drivers are in good hands.
Furthermore, if you’ve subscribed to Driver Techie Pro, and need our technical support to help with the Astro A10 mic not working problem, please feel free to contact <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
When you assume that your Astro A10 mic is not working on Windows, firstly, make sure it is not muted and all cables are properly connected. Then, test it out on a smartphone and check if it needs Astro’s official support. Additionally, make sure it’s set as the default audio device on your computer. Most importantly, update your audio drivers if available. We hope you find this troubleshooting guide useful and helpful. If you have any other follow-up questions, please let us know in the comments.
- Blue Screen
- CPU usage
- Disk Usage
- Display / Graphics
- Driver Download
- SD card
- System Settings