[Solved] Astro A40 Mic Not Working
Is your Astro A40 microphone working properly? If it doesn’t pick up sounds and your friends can’t hear you through it, follow the tips in this guide and you will sort the problem out.
- Make sure your audio cables are firmly seated
- Update your audio driver
- Adjust your microphone settings
- Check for hardware issues
Before we start troubleshooting, please make sure that your headset is unmuted, and is set up properly. Then, perform the troubleshooting steps below.
Some Astro A40 headsets are having problems with the cables, which are reported that they don’t go properly inside the designated ports and thus cause the microphone not working issue.
In this case, you’ll need to make sure that the cable of your Astro A40 is fully inserted. If the mic still cannot pick up sounds, move on to the next solution.
When your Astro A40 is not working, another thing you should do is to update your audio card driver, since an up-to-date audio driver always ensures that your Astro A40 has the best user experience and fewer bugs.
To update your audio driver, here’s what you can do (please note that the following screenshots are taken on Windows 11, but the instructions work on Windows 10 as well):
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key and X at the same time, select Device Manager.
- Double-click to expand the category Sound, video and game controllers. Then right-click your audio driver and click Update driver (the name of the device can be different on your computer).
- Then click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Wait for Windows to find the latest driver available for you.
- When the driver update is done, restart your computer for the change to take effect.
- Then check and see if the problem is fixed.
If Windows says that it’s already found the latest driver for you, so no newer drivers are found, then you should consider updating your audio driver in a different way with the help of Driver Techie.
Its ever-growing driver database allows you to always have access to the latest device drivers that you need. More importantly, Driver Techie simplifies the driver update process, so all it takes is just 3 clicks (for Pro users), and all your drivers are updated.
To use Driver Techie to find you the latest drivers:
- Download and install Driver Techie, then launch it.
- Click Scan Now.
- After the scan, select all the drivers you need to update and click Update All. Then all your drivers will be updated automatically without you having to do anything else.
Please note that Update All is available for Pro subscribers only, otherwise, you can only manually update the driver one at a time. To see how to manually update the drivers one by one, please check this post.
If you’re a Pro user of Driver Techie, and need our technical support to help with the Astro A40 mic not working problem, please feel free to contact <email@example.com>.
The faulty microphone settings can be another reason why your Astro A40 mic is not working properly. When a new audio device is plugged into your PC, Windows will automatically recognize it and set it as the default audio device on your computer. However, in case your system failed to do this for you, you need to check and adjust the settings manually.
To do so:
- On the taskbar, right-click the speaker icon and select Sound settings.
- Scroll down the page and click More sound settings.
- From the top menu, click the Recording tab. If you see your microphone device, click it and select Set Default. If it’s not listed, right-click the empty space area and click “Show hidden devices“. If your microphone is shown disabled and greyed out, right-click it and select Enable.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Check if the problem is resolved. If not, try the next method.
If all the cables are seated firmly into the designated ports, the audio driver is updated already, and changing the microphone settings still fails to bring your Astro A40 mic back to work, then you need to consider the possibility of hardware issues.
To check the hardware issues, here’s what we can do:
- Test your Astro A40 with another PC. If it works, then your computer might encounter audio-related hardware issues. Kindly seek help from a repair store or the computer’s manufacturer.
- Test your PC with another headset. If it works well with your computer, then you might need to ask for a repair or a replacement of your Astro A40.
So, these are what we recommend to resolve the Astro A40 mic not working issue. If you have any ideas to share, please feel free to leave a comment below.
- Blue Screen
- CPU usage
- Disk Usage
- Display / Graphics
- Driver Download
- SD card
- System Settings